Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Day in the Life of Amy (and other IH patients)


This is one of my favorite pictures of Amy. It says A LOT about her really. 1) This picture was taken at one of her favorite places, Oakland's Mansion in Murfreesboro, TN. 2) Amy loved black and white photographs. 3) This was one of Amy's favorite trees, she has even taken pictures of our girls in the same place. 4) Most importantly, this is one of the few time I have seen Amy at such peace. It is not that I do not appreciate all of the other pictures of her as she is the most beautiful woman I have EVER met, had a million dollar smile, eyes that pierced your very soul when she spoke to and of you, I could go on and on. This is how I would picture Amy right now, resting in peace up in heaven, anxiously awaiting for the rest of the saints to be reunited, and smiling down on the lives that she touched and see the seeds that she planted in our hearts bloom.

I do not mean any disrespect in any way to anyone, but I would like to take a moment to share a private and intimate piece of Amy's life. Many of the current followers of her blog are or may be care givers of Intra-Cranial Hypertension (IH) patients, but there are some who are not. So this morning will be just a small glimpse of what her days were like. I am not going to post it exactly day by day, but just give you an idea of what Amy and others with IH go through daily. Again, I apologize if I have offended anyone, but Amy did not want people to worry about her so much, and did not want special treatment or pity because of this horrible illness. Please continue to pray for those who continue to fight this illness, and there is a non-profit organization that continues research for IH - IH Foundation Your contributions are tax deductible, and if you so choose, you can also give in memory of Amy and they will send you a card back as a keepsake if you wish. Blessings on your day, and baby, I am sorry if your didn't want people to know, but it helps us understand you and this illness better. I do it in respect, love, and I miss you dearly!!!

A piece from Amy's diary 2009 -

I have been waking up many times during the night for the past few days and having to clean the fluid (excess spinal fluid pushing out her ears due to high head pressure). My head throbs and I get dizzy. I stay tired because I cannot get a good nights sleep. A couple of days after this, it was a difficult night because I woke up in pain from a kidney stone that is sometimes the side effect of taking topamax. The following month I caught the flu which is not good, as I cannot take many of the medications that others can take to get rid of it due to my IH or blood clotting disorder. There is also a risk that if the infection spreads, it could infect any part of my shunt, which would mean another surgery. (Praise God that did not happen!!!)

This is just a small part of her daily routine, and others who face IH. Again, I am writing this from the point of educating others and praying for a cure from this dreaded illness. I was blessed to be a part of Amy's life and to be her caregiver, I know that we were both frustrated many times because of the illness, but we loved each other like no other. I miss you baby!!!

1 comment:

  1. I know she suffered alot but didn't want anyone to know just how bad. She wanted to be the caregiver for others and to keep them positive. No matter how much pain she was in, she was still concerned more about other people who were suffering and she would reach out to them and forget about her pain for the time being. Amy is a special angel that was on this Earth for 30 years. Heaven is a place for her to have no more pain and to rest with God. He is saying, well done Child. You walked through the gates of heaven and earned your wings. Welcome Home!

    ReplyDelete